Sunday 19 April 2015

Hair Care For Blondes


It’s known by all that us blondes do in fact have more fun but in order to keep up that reputation, we have to take good care of our hair – and as we aren’t a stranger to the bleach that can be a bit difficult.

After years of playing around with hair dyes that were far too dark for my skin tone, I finally took the plunge and began lightening my hair just before my 18th birthday.  It took a few months to get to the shade I wanted and each session with the bleach would dry my hair out more and more. Three years since coming to the light side, I’ve finally got my hair care routine fine tuned to only the best and most necessary products.

At first I thought the more products I used the better, what could go wrong? But when you’re applying a cocktail of products that promise to hydrate, defrizz, volumise and add shine it all gets a bit too much and things start to go haywire.

I’ve since learnt that less is more and taking care of the condition is the number one priority. Once I got that nailed, everything else seemed to fall into place. The frizz was tamed with hydration, volume can be oomphed by drying your hair upside down and healthy hair shines naturally with no need for anything else.

So, how do we get that healthy hair? It all starts in the shower. I’m not the fussiest person when it comes to shampoo and conditioner – my hairdresser recommended that the cheaper products often work better so I stopped spending ridiculous amounts on shampoo that claimed to do a multitude of things and bought Touch of Silver Daily Maintenance Shampoo and Daily Nourish Conditioner. Perfect for blonde tresses, it protects and brightens the colour as well as correcting any brassy tones and it retails at around £2 a bottle which is an absolute bargain!

I should probably mention that I try leave my hair as long as possible between washes too; the more I wash it, the quicker it gets greasy so I general do it every three or four days. After shampooing and conditioning, I use the L’Oreal Paris Pure Colour Refreshing Mask for around five minutes while I have a shower boogie.

Everything washed off after the shower, I apply one pump of John Frieda Blonde Brightening Oil Elixir to the ends to nourish and prevent any brittle breakages or split ends. Not nice. I love using products with argan oil in, the condition of my hair has done a complete 360 since I introduced it to my routine – VO5 Miracle Concetrate Elixir With Argan Oil is just as good and the bottle lasts forever.

To the roots, I spray John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Spray before giving my hair a rough blow dry. This spray is perfect for those days – or weeks – when you’re roots are beginning to show but you’re not booked in to the salon just yet. Although it doesn’t provide drastic results and a complete root touch up, it lightens them enough to blend the two colours together keeping it natural.

Since I’ve had my hair cut shorter, I use a lot more heat on it than I used to so once it’s dry I spray a light mist of Dove Nourishing Oil Care Leave In Spray which acts as a leave in conditioner, shine-giver and heat protectant all in one. Triple whammy! This two-part concoction needs a good shake before use but is one of those products you can use just after or inbetween washes. With a multitude of uses, this has quickly become a staple when it comes to hair care.

Finally, once styled, we need to battle that frizz. Any hint of humidity and my hair doubles in size. Not pretty.  In New York I picked up Marc Anthony Oil Of Morocco Hairspray – it was the argan oil that sucked me in! It works a treat though, it’s not crispy, it brushes out easily and it keeps my barnet exactly where I left it.


What staple products are in your hair care routine?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely going to have to pick up the John Frieda Blonde Brightening Oil Elixir! :) x

    ReplyDelete