Friday 15 March 2013

Fashion Over Comfort?


Do you choose fashion or comfort? For me, it’s all about the way it looks rather than the way it feels – I’d rather wear something that looks amazing yet needs re-adjusting every half an hour than an old pair of leggings and a baggy top for ease, cosiness and a sense of relaxation.

Although I find them uncomfortable to drive in, and even more uncomfortable to sit down for long periods of time, my disco pants are my favourite item of clothing in my wardrobe. The shiny skin-tight trousers, a bargain from River Island at £30 instead of American Apparel’s price of £70, constantly find themselves on my legs yet I can’t help but subconsciously fear they will split at the back and I’ll be left revealing my spotty knickers. So all in all they aren’t the ideal garment to wear for a full day of sitting in lectures at university, but who cares if you look good?

It’s not just about the clothes you wear with dread of a seam ripping – tell me, how many times have you worn shoes that literally rub the skin off your ankles? Blisters aren’t the nicest things but if the shoes are fashionable then I’d say the blisters equate to some sort of medal for owning a damn good pair of heels. Not to mention, do you own a pair of shoes that are virtually impossible to drive in? If you’re anything like me you’ll have a spare pair of shoes in the boot in case a quick change is needed half-way down the motorway.

However, there is one thing I’d never give up that provides me with ultimate luxury and comfort – my dressing gown. There’s not a chance I’d choose skin-tight leggings over a soft and fluffy dressing gown if I were in the comfort of my own home. But that’s okay, isn’t it? Comfortable clothing was designed to be worn in the house but for the great outdoors it’s necessary to show off your style and wear what looks good yet might not feel it. After all, nobody started a story with: ‘One time I wore my joggers to a restaurant,’ do they?

Me and my beloved disco pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment